- one who has taken up residence in a foreign country.
- to withdraw (oneself) from residence in one's native country.
- to banish (a person) from his or her native country.
You get to choose which definition you would like to apply to us.
Things I got to see this week:
- My life flash before my eyes. Whoever said you wanted to see your death coming was lying! Hang Lei was driving down the highway (I was listening to the Britney Spears he had playing over the radio), and had a semi-truck begin to turn into us. Hang Lei slammed on the brakes and all we lost was the passenger side mirror on the van (I didn't need new underwear, but I am beginning to see why it is common sense to keep a clean pair in the glovebox!). Hang Lei said a bunch of words to me that I am probably glad I didn't understand, and then quickly chased down the other driver and pulled in front of him so he had to stop. After about 5 minutes worth of arguing in the left lane of a two-lane highway, Hang Lei hops back in the van with 350 kuai, says more words I can't understand (but did comprehend the meaning behind them), and we were on our way again. The next day the mirror was fixed and everything was back to normal (okay, Karen, as normal as things can be for me!)
- 3 generations of Chinese women walking hand-in-hand down the street.
- How my washer, dryer, dishwasher, iron, and ironing board work. It helps me to see just how spoiled I have been all these years.
- The movie "1408". If you are a thriller movie or John Cusack fan, it is for you. If you like to sleep at night, maybe it's not so much for you.
- Fireworks being lit off during a thunderstorm in the middle of the day.
- Joy in my haircut dude Jeffrey's eyes when he was finally able to tell me that his wife and 3-month old son are finally living here in Shanghai with him. He has had pictures, but had only seen the baby less than a hand-full of times.
Okay, random book review for those of you looking for a book on China to read. It is, "China Road", by Rob Gifford. Check out the review on Amazon.com. It is a fairly quick read about a journalist who journeys across Route 312 in China. It starts on the eastern border in Shanghai, and ends 3000 miles away at the western border of China. It does a good job of describing the people, places, and culture of China, and also provides thoughtful commentary on where China is heading as a nation and a people.
Anyway, I'll blog more next week after my family comes back to me (the 7th!)!

7 comments:
Mark, glad to hear from you once again and glad to hear also that the accident wasn't more serious than it was. Sounds to me, your driver was not too happy about the situation. Quite scary - not sure what kind of state I would have been it at that point.
Our house is more than too quiet tonight as our Berg family is out visiting with friends in the city this evening. We're surely going to more than miss them when they return next week.
Stay safe Mark - we love you and are missing you.
Mom R
Yikes! Sorry about your close call, Mark. Thank God for His protection over you.
On the positive side, it's comforting to know that in China, strangers can argue vehemently with one another and still walk away with their lives. Had Hang Lei confronted the semi driver in the states, we might have been reading about him in next day's headlines as the latest road rage statistic.
By the way...washing, folding, and ironing laundry is a great character builder!
:-) Betsy
Wow, Mark, how glad we are that you are still alive!!! Praise God for His protection!!! I bet Natalie gulped when she heard that!!! What a country to live in! I still say Bill and I would probably never make it over there!! I guess God knows who to send!!
God bless and have a great day in the Lord!!!
Aunt Carol
WOW! A true testimony in honor of our mothers! Always keep the extra pair in your glove box. Kinda like, "Always check your eggs in the carton before buying." Why? I never knew until I was 36 years old and found my first ever broken one! I gotta go check my glovebox.
Of course your safety is my first concern like everyone else. That's why God provides Chinese drivers, they know how to work it!
Smiles
Hi My name is Amy Kaehr. I am Arlene Kaehrs granddaughter. She gave me this link because I am applying to go to the Henan province to teach english. I have actually been reading "china road" and I am LOVING it. It really is a nice supplement with your blogspot. I am so glad I am able to read about your adventures. I wanted to add this link to my blogspot. http://adventurouswoman.blogspot.com. If that is okay let me know. Thank you again for all the experiences you have shared. I enjoy each one !
Amy
Thanks for your response! If everything works out with the application process I will be arriving early August to Mid September of 2008. Talk to you soon!
Amy
Post a Comment