Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back!!!!!
Well it, true we are officially back and running. Just thought I would recap the last few days of things that have made me laugh or smile:
After the kids and I landed in Shanghai and cleared customs and got all of our luggage, we walked to the area where Mark and the drivers would be waiting. Low and behold there he was with 6 other drivers. Hang Lei(ours), Guo Liang (Carol's), Tony (Mary's), Bill (Nancy's), Jack (Verna's) and John Bing (Kelly's). It took 6 drivers to get Kelly, Verna and myself home. We all brought so much stuff back that we each needed a whole van just for luggage. All of the drivers seemed very happy to see us also.
Seeing the DVD ladies face when the kids got back. She was so happy to see them. You'd think we were her only customers or something.
Same at Head to Toe, they were so happy to see Mark and me when we went on a date one afternoon to get foot massages.
Celebrating my sweet little princess' 15th birthday yesterday. It seems like just yesterday that I was laboring so.... She spent the day having a spa treatment. Ok, for all of you who are just fascinated by the cost of some things here I will share. She had a manicure, pedicure(blue with white polka dots-that info is for Angie because she was wondering), facial, shampoo, shoulder massage and haircut and style. All of that was 400 yuan or about $50ish dollars. How much do you think all of that would cost in the states??!!?? Not a bad birthday present for a 15 year old princess.
Last night we went to TGI Friday's for Elise's birthday dinner. Lisa Kraatz flew in yesterday afternoon on business for Dow, so we picked her up and she joined us for dinner. It is very fun to see faces from home.
It had rained all day yesterday, so that makes public transportation very interesting around here. On our way home, I saw this bus that was absolutely packed to the max. Every seat was full, every handle to stand and hang on too, had at least two people hanging on to it for dear life and the best part were the two stair wells that each bus has. These two stair wells each had at least 6 people in them. Two on each step. The two on the bottom step were pressed against the door and the people in the front stair well of the bus, looked like they were actually pressed against the windshield. (It gives making faces on a window a whole new meaning) There was nothing separating them from the cement and bustling traffic of Shanghai except for one little glass door. Hopefully the driver didn't have to stop quickly and the dude by the door handle hit it wrong.... you get the picture:)
A guy falling off his moped in the middle of the street. Ok, it really was funny even Hang Lei was laughing.
Watching Noah and Jacob sleeping on each other's shoulders in the back seat on the way home from Friday's. For those of you who really know Noah and Jacob this is funny because they sort of have a love hate relationship with each other. It just proves that when you are jet lagged you will sleep anywhere.
Walking to my closet and my shirts are ironed. I decided this summer that I really don't mind doing household chores, but I truely loathe ironing. If Hong only ironed, I would keep her for just that.
Burning brownies in my fabulous oven!!! I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to bake again. That thing really has me stumped. The good news is, is that the kids who came over (which is why I baked them in the first place), the little girl told me they tasted just like her grandma's homemade brownies:) Only the bottom was burnt so I guess the top still tasted good, that or grandma typically burns her brownies and she doesn't know any better....
Here are some funny tales that some of my friends have seen or experienced that are worth sharing....
On a hot summer day, a little chinese (ok I know they are all little) taking an afternoon nap in a grocery cart.
Some friends of ours who are just moving here are getting a furnished apartment. They had asked for soft mattresses because the mattresses around here are really as hard as bricks. So when they went to check on the progress of their apartment they were looking things over and they noticed that their mattresses weren't in plastic. On closer inspection, they realized that the mattresses were used. Boo how!!!(very bad) When they inquired why they were getting used mattresses the leasing office explained to them that they had asked for soft mattresses and that is what they got. Everyone knows that you can only make a mattress soft by breaking it in!!!! Needless to say they did get new mattresses.
Ok, this story won't seem so funny, but it is now. Some friends of ours were getting out of their van and their 11 year old son was the last one out. A lady had cut through by their van and at just the perfect timing he jumped out of the van and she hit him on the side walk with her moped. I'm sure she wasn't going too fast, but man it could have been very serious. I guess both of them went flying. The poor kid has tire track like bruises on his arm and leg. The funny part is, is that she tried to blame the kid and the driver stepped in and said something to her and she finally shut up and just left. The next day at work, HR wondered if the family wanted a new driver. They declined because it wasn't his fault. But our drivers do take a lot of crap sometimes and get blamed for things that aren't their fault.
Well as you can see by the time of this post, it really is the middle of the night. Sleeping from 10-3 isn't bad but I would prefer 11-6. Slowly but surely we're turning our bodies around and soon we should be on normal sleeping patterns again.
For all of you faithful blog readers who have been around for a while, you know that I like to use song lyrics somewhere in my posts... so can you name that tune???? I will try and put one in somewhere from now on. Let me know if you know what it is.
Happy Sabbath to all and to all a good night!
6Bergsinchina
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
The only song that I saw was Welcome Back Cotter in the beginning, but that is too obvious. I leave it to my sista and her mad skilllz to pick it up.
Aunt Laurie
Of course its Welcome Back Kotter (with a "K"). I played that on your answering machine for you one time after a too long vacation. Wasn't it when you went to Disney? I now realize that "Long vacation" is very relative!
Glad you are sound and safe.
TTFN
Hey Bergs:
I knew right away what you were singing and I was singing along! It is good to hear from you again. We are hum-drumming along with all the usual stuff. I'll call you soon.
Love ya,
Deb
Since you have been here and have told us a bit about China this all makes more sense!! Oh, my, you don't need a TV to entertain you. Just go out on the street and watch. It is probably better than any TV you could ever come up with.
The princess sounds like she has lfe perfect!! Man, Elise, I was clear jealous of all of the pampering that you got for your birthday. What a great gift!!
You say the twins have sort of a love-hate thing going but I'm almost sure it is more love than hate. When we were kids there would be 10 of us in the car going to Cissna Park, all in the same car. I believe it was Joe and I that use to balance a pillow between our heads to sleep. You have to know there had to be a double layer to put 10 people in a car---oh, my, those were the days--- hotter than blue blazes and going on a 7-8 hour trip with kids on your lap and all!!
I'm glad everyone is back safe and sound. Enjoy all of the free entertainment!!!
Love ya,
Aunt Carol
Since you have been here and have told us a bit about China this all makes more sense!! Oh, my, you don't need a TV to entertain you. Just go out on the street and watch. It is probably better than any TV you could ever come up with.
The princess sounds like she has lfe perfect!! Man, Elise, I was clear jealous of all of the pampering that you got for your birthday. What a great gift!!
You say the twins have sort of a love-hate thing going but I'm almost sure it is more love than hate. When we were kids there would be 10 of us in the car going to Cissna Park, all in the same car. I believe it was Joe and I that use to balance a pillow between our heads to sleep. You have to know there had to be a double layer to put 10 people in a car---oh, my, those were the days--- hotter than blue blazes and going on a 7-8 hour trip with kids on your lap and all!!
I'm glad everyone is back safe and sound. Enjoy all of the free entertainment!!!
Love ya,
Aunt Carol
Since you have been here and have told us a bit about China this all makes more sense!! Oh, my, you don't need a TV to entertain you. Just go out on the street and watch. It is probably better than any TV you could ever come up with.
The princess sounds like she has lfe perfect!! Man, Elise, I was clear jealous of all of the pampering that you got for your birthday. What a great gift!!
You say the twins have sort of a love-hate thing going but I'm almost sure it is more love than hate. When we were kids there would be 10 of us in the car going to Cissna Park, all in the same car. I believe it was Joe and I that use to balance a pillow between our heads to sleep. You have to know there had to be a double layer to put 10 people in a car---oh, my, those were the days--- hotter than blue blazes and going on a 7-8 hour trip with kids on your lap and all!!
I'm glad everyone is back safe and sound. Enjoy all of the free entertainment!!!
Love ya,
Aunt Carol
Since you have been here and have told us a bit
about China this all makes more sense!! Oh, my, you don't need a TV to entertain you. Just go out on the street and watch. It is probably better than any TV you could ever come up with.
The princess sounds like she has lfe perfect!! Man, Elise, I was clear jealous of all of the pampering that you got for your birthday. What a great gift!!
You say the twins have sort of a love-hate thing going but I'm almost sure it is more love than hate. When we were kids there would be 10 of us in the car going to Cissna Park, all in the same car. I believe it was Joe and I that use to balance a pillow between our heads to sleep. You have to know there had to be a double layer to put 10 people in a car---oh, my, those were the days--- hotter than blue blazes and going on a 7-8 hour trip with kids on your lap and all!!
I'm glad everyone is back safe and sound. Enjoy all of the free entertainment!!!
Love ya,
Aunt Carol
Since you have been here and have told us a bit e in a car---oh, my, those were the days--- hotter than blue blazes and going on a 7-8 hour trip with kids on your lap and all!!
I'm glad everyone is back safe and sound. Enjoy all of the free entertainment!!!
Love ya,
Aunt Carol
Oh, man!! I made a lengthy comment and it wouldn't publish it so I hit publish one more time and low and behold it published it twice! So I tried to delete one and it deleted both. When I tried to publish it again it published it 3 times. I think I'd better quit!!!! :-)
That's what happens when you get to be 65 and dummer than a door knob about computers! Oh, well, what can a guy say. I guess you will just have to guess what all I might have said the first time because I used up all of my computer time and need to go!!
Love you,
Aunt Carol
Hey Mrs. Bergie,
Love your songs and of course it "Welcome Back Kotter". Yes, I know my post is later than all the others, but I didn't even peek at all the other answers. But I'm pretty sure that I'm not the first.
Also, a Happy Belated Birthday to Miss Elise "15 year old pampered Princess". YAAAY for you, Doll, having such a fabulous birthday treat. I think if we get the chance to come over Lyss and I will have to get the works. What fun.
So glad you all are adjusting and getting back in the swing. As I write this it is Tuesday, the 14th. Don't the kids start school today? Wow, the summer sure flew by.
Love ya bunches and miss you even more. Scott is going to get me a Skype phone soon.
Call me when you can,
Beth
Since you have been here and told us a bit about China....Oh, wait! That isn't what I was going to type at all --WEIRD, huh?
I can't believe it is already the middle of August! We thought about Miss Elise on her birthday. Abby wants to know what KIND of Princess Birthday did she have? Did she wear the same dress she wore to Abby's Princess birthday? We are glad she had a happy one, no matter what she was wearing. I'm hoping for the same treatment for mine, but I don't see it happening yet. Oh well, maybe when I am as old as she is....
We miss everyone so much already. Most of the rest of the HOMES group got together last night. We were hoping you and Mark have made time to dive back into our old Corinthians study again.
We tease you a lot, cause we got you on the spot....
Love to everyone,
The Petersons
I waited until the very end so my comment wouldn't be covered by the super-long song title. :-)
Welcome Back, Kotter was a funny show. I always loved the way his students would casually climb in and out of his apartment window when they visited. Who would have ever thought that Vinnie Barbarino would become such a Hollywood and Scientology legend?!
Anyway, glad you're all back together safe and sound. Hope your visit to the States has filled your "happy memory" reservoir to the brim. Thank you for not bringing back any Mattel toys to your family and friends.
Have a wonderful day!
Betsy
Post a Comment