Thursday, April 12, 2007

Chinese hospitality, girls and pearls

Wednesday was a fun day. I went to my first Dow Corning wives coffee. I met some really neat ladies. When we got to the villas where the host lived, the driver took us to the address that was given to us in the invitation. The door was open, so we went in calling out to Roxanne (the host), Roxanne wasn't answering but two ayi's welcomed us in and started finding slippers for each of us to wear (remember you never wear your shoes in someones house because you have no idea what you may have walked through). My friend Mary looked at the pictures on the fireplace mantle and realized that we didn't recognize anyone in the pictures. It didn't take us long to realize that we were in the wrong house. They had given us the wrong address. It was actually the house next door, so we didn't have to walk very far. The ayis were very gracious and I'm pretty sure they would've let us stay if we hadn't figured out we were in the wrong place. Boy did we have a good laugh over that one.
After our coffee, we went to the pearl market. Oh my, what a lovely place!!!!! For all of you who love jewels, it was truely an amazing experience. They don't just have pearls they have every kind of jewelry that you could imagine. One of the ladies named Michelle that I met is a regular at the pearl market. So since we were Michelle's friends we were automatically there friends and so we got awesome deals. All in all I only spent $50 american dollars but you wouldn't believe the stuff I bought. I'm gonna be the favorite sister to all:)
After the market we went out to lunch to a wonderful mexican restaurant and had a bunch of appetizers. It was an exhausting, but very fun day. Not something I could do on a daily or even weekly basis, but every once in a while will be just fine.
The Dow Corning women are a neat bunch of ladies. There were many different personalities, so it was neat to hear different opinions and stories. They are a wealth of information that I am very thankful for.
until later...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was fun! I assume these were all real pearls!! Unreal! Enjoy all of the unique things while you are there--that is what it is all about!! How did you find out where you were actually suppose to be? At least you have others around you and a driver to help you figure out where you should be!!! Later...

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Sister, you crack me up. What a hoot - going in the wrong house!! That would have been something us sisters would have done. You know - driving to the "border"!! ha ha. Anyhow, I am glad that you have these ladies to hang with and that they are so helpful to you.
Love ya,
Beth

Anonymous said...

What a funny picture...I can jsut see you busting into this house yelling for your friend! And the ayi not knowing what you are saying and bringing you slippers. Oh, we would have been rolling we would have been laughing so hard! Ah the memeories you are making! I agree with Beth about how great it is that you have some good ladies to "Hang out" with while youa re there.
Enjoy...love ya, Deb

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...it appears Mexican food is a re-occuring theme on the Berg blog. So if I want good Mexican cuisine, I should come to China?:-)

Betsy