Sunday, September 30, 2007

V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N, we're on vacation....

Well, we are indeed off for our first vacation in China. This is one of the Chinese' golden weeks. It is mid-autumn festival. I don't know a lot about it yet, only that everyone gets a week off of school and work.
We leave at 1:15 today to fly to Yichang. There we will board a river boat cruise for 5 days and 4 nights. We will travel upstream to Chongquing on the Yangtze river. After getting off of the ship we will be going to Chengdu where we get to see Panda bears. Then we fly home Friday evening. It should be a relaxing time which we are all in need of. Hopefully, the cruise will be a little bit of history, culture and relaxation all in one.
It has been a crazy past couple of weeks. The kids have either been on their school interim trips or are getting ready for them. Elise spent the last week in Xi'an working at an orphanage. She has some great stories to tell, but I will let her tell them herself sometime soon. The week after we get back from our cruise Noah and Levi go on their interim trip. They are going to Nanbeihu, which is like Spring Hill on steroids. For those of you who don't know what Spring Hill is, it is an adventure camp with some extreme sports. The following week, Jacob will be in Beijing for 5 days. He will be climbing the great wall, helping the olympic committee amongst other things. So that's kind of what our October is looking like.
I am ready to start pulling out my fall clothes, but there is no need. It is still quite lovely here and shorts and capri's are very comfortable. The other day I did see a couple of trees starting to turn colors. I've been told this doesn't really happen here though. The leaves just fall off the trees and that is it.
Everyone except Noah is taking language lessons. They really make my brain hurt:) But it is kind of fun. I am also going to start taking a Chinese cooking class once a week for 10 weeks when we get back from holiday.
So that's about it! No funny stories or anything this time. I guess that means we are getting used to life around here.
Until later......
The Berg's

6 comments:

Karen Chica said...

Wow...I would love to see the Great Wall. What a priviledge to see all those famous places! Keepin' it short. Love love ya'll

Anonymous said...

It is always good to do an R&R. Even our Good Lord knew that!!! It sounds like a lot of fun! You may as well do all of that stuff you can while you are over there. Why not?? Now, why is Noah not taking lessons in the language? I can believe it makes your head hurt. It makes mine hurt thinking about it!! Probably that is why Noah isn't!! :-) While you are cruising we are replacing our cupboards in the kitchen and installing a dishwasher that we have never had before. They just started this morning. I haven't gone up to check. Bill just returned and said--what a mess--you can't believe!!!! Maybe it is best just to stay in hiding!!

Have a great time!

Aunt Carol

Tonia said...

I'm so excited for you all to have so many adventures. What stories you will have to tell :-)

Anonymous said...

This must be the golden week for vacation everywhere. We've just returned from a week at Disney World. A magical time for everyone, in the land where dreams come true! :-)

Now to unpack and recover...

Betsy

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone,
Just checking in again but finding no new messages. Just wondering since we have three "great/
wonderful" grandchildren that have just returned from school trips, if they could be convinced to report in to the Blog this week-end and tell us about some of the things that they did on their adventures. I am sure that many would be delighted to hear.
We're doing fine and will be getting ready in the morning for an open house tomorrow afternoon 2:30 to 4:00. No report came from the person that we counter-offered on Wednesday. That's okay, he just may not be the one that deserves our beautiful home.
Love to all of you,
Grandma/ Mom R

Anonymous said...

Ahem...just how long is this vacation anyway?

Betsy