- Remember the toothpaste and brush under the toilet? They've been joined by a hacksaw blade. I am really starting to get worried!
- I now have all the hot water a person can dream of in my bathroom. Ron, on the other hand, has a little bit. The problem is that he never knows when he will have it, and sometimes the spurt comes through during the middle of a shower and he gets hit with scalding hot water. It makes life interesting.
- We have had quite a few leaks in the plumbing as the landlord has tried to provide hot water to the apartment. Last night we came home to find all the doors inside the apartment closed (we leave them open). After looking for all of the normal water leaks in the bathrooms, we noticed a note on the table. After the DC housing admin person came over, she informed us that the washer had quit working and had overflowed the apartment. New leak! Yeah for us!
- They have installed new hoses on my water heater in my bathroom to fix the leak issues I had in there. Great news....the hoses don't leak! Not so great news....now the valves under the sink they connect to do leak (they didn't before the new hoses were installed)!
- New food items for y'all to try: chicken bone and snake soup, deep-fried goat's knuckles with peanuts and red peppers, chicken intestines. Apparently they are all very good for your health, particularly the stomach...
Updates on everything else (stuff that matters)....
- Natalie and I are becoming quite busy with the youth. We both attend Sunday afternoon's program (180, it's kind of like JAM or Extreme). Natalie hangs with the kids and I teach once a month. We also co-lead Waypoint (DG groups) groups. She has 6th-7th grade girls, and I have 7th-8th grade boys.
- Natalie also co-leads a Beth Moore women's study on Tuesday's, takes a cooking class, Mandarin lessons, shops for stuff we need at the house (an all day job), and tries to keep everyone's schedules in order.....
- Elise is extremely busy with play practice and school. She also is in a Waypoint and seems to be fairly preoccupied with everyday life. Then again, I guess she has managed to work her way into the 7th season of "Friends" and kept track of "Ugly Betty" and "Grey's Anatomy".
- Jacob is trying to keep up a busy life of texting, emailing, Live chat, Skype chat, phone calls....Okay, you get the picture, he is like his mother and is the social one of the bunch!
- Levi is taking pride (although with a certain humbleness to it) that he is schooling his sister in their Mandarin class! He also has the usual homework and hangs with the neighbor kids.
- Noah has the best grades of all the kid's in school. He seems to actually enjoy it once he gets done complaining that it is there. Of course, it would be impossible for him to get these grades if he didn't have Levi to remind him.
- The boys are all in Waypoint groups.
- Matt Schroering: he's the neighbor kid that lives below/with us. We finally have him to the point where he no longer knocks to come in, so that we don't have to get up to go and answer the door and let him in. He will now carefully walk into the apartment, stop about 5 feet in the door, and then look around to see where everyone is at. If he doesn't find anyone, he goes to the boy's rooms or back to the TV room to find them. Even though the kitchen isn't on the path to either of these places, somehow he manages to find that also. He's a great kid, and we are blessed to have him and his brother Ryan living beneath us.
That's it for now. Hope you had a Happy Halloween! Can you believe it's November already? Mark

6 comments:
Ha! I get to be the first commentor for the first time! Ha, too bad for me I don't actually have a cool comment to comment!
I just wanted to let you know that I stopped by and I enjoyed hearing how everyone one is and what you're up to.
I related to your plumbing issues, unfortunatley. I've had some pretty serious ones in the past. Ones that involved water that had been, well... let's just say that the water was on the way out of the house when it went astray rather than on the way into the house. About 1,000 dollars later all was well.
Mark - Glad to hear from you again and get the latest update in the all of your lives.
Sounds like you are very busy and that is good.
I couldn't help but feel a little sad because there were no pumpkins to be carved by Grandpa this year.
Miss you all - Say hi to everyone.
Love - Mom
Oh my goodness!! The food sounds intensely gross!!! It sounds like they are trying to kill you off before you come home.
I think the blast of boiling water sounds a whole lot worse that a blast of cold! And, oh, the leaks!! Actually the apartments in the states aren't any better. Renting is a test to anyone's spirituality!! Like my grandfather use to say, "It is hard on my christianity!"
It sounds like you have all settled in for the winter. I'm pretty proud of the kids how well they have adjusted and are doing so well. They all need a hug.
Natalie, I know your job is consuming, also. I use to think---I spend a lot of time making everyone else look good with very little credit!! Good job!
Thanks for the update, Mark! You do a good job writing. Maybe you should consider writing a book!
Aunt Carol
Too bad I didn't get those food recommedations earlier..I would've served them at my Halloween party Tomorrow night! (It's my birthday - wear a costume, bring a gift.) Although, we are having Eyes and Ears, Road Apples with Maggots, and my newest creation, Chocolate covered Arpit Hairs. (yum, yum!)Of course the usual Bloody Spiders and Scabs will also be served. See what you're missin'!? I'll be sure and email pictures. I bet you're wondering what my costume is, since it's on my birthday this year, "I'M CAKE AND I SCREAM!!" Pun intended. Rog is going to be a party popper - one of those things you pull the string and they explode with confetti.
Thanks for the update.
你好!
First, a note for Karen--you are just. too. funny! I am green with envy over your creativity and originality on those Halloween/birthday costumes. And the food! Who'da thunk?! (At first I thought Rog went as a "party pooper." But no, that couldn't possibly be true, says I. Then I re-read it.) Bianca won the Most Original costume award at our church's party this year (which we shamelessly borrowed from Katie C.) She went as "Identity Crisis." Wore all black, and plastered herself with about 52 name tags, all with different names. She finished it off by wearing a braid on one side of her head, a bun on the other, punk green paint on half her hair, and make-up on half her face. She looked splendid.
But back to the blog. Mark, Mark, Mark...I am reminded that part of the reason for your moving to China was that it was "God's way of telling you all to slow down." Hardy-har-har. Sounds like God maybe had other plans in mind. Like preparing you for the mi***on field. Extreme plumbing...mysterious weapons appearing inexplicably in unmentionable areas of your abode...exotic menu items for your gastronomical pleasure. Yes, God definitely has a plan.
Hope the remainder of November is as exciting for you as the beginning. Take care, and keep that head covered in the cold!
Betsy
Post a Comment