Sunday, January 13, 2008

What you are about to read is not a figment of your imagination...the Berg's have indeed updated the blog

Hello everyone,
Yes,we know it has been a long time since we have updated the blog. My husband informed me that it was my turn to do this. So, here I am. Life has become very normal for us. We have fallen into a routine that seems to be working for all of us. We are all busy with just normal stuff. I told my sister that I don't blog anymore because I don't have anything funny to tell, but she assured me that you all just like to read about our "normal lives." So, here is normal:
December brought a whirlwind of activities. I did two different cookie exchanges with different groups of friends. My kids decided this was quite the deal for them. We put up our tree on the 1st and made grandma's cutout cookies. Mark didn't think it was a good idea for my first attempt at making these cookies to be in a foreign country using not quite the same ingredients. But rest assured they turned out just like Grandma's. In fact, they never really got frosted or decorated because all 6 dozen were gone within 24 hours. We celebrated Jacob's 13th birthday on the 8th. He was given the choice of a big party and a small gift or a big gift and a small party. So he chose the big gift, because afterall he is my child. He has been wanting an electric guitar and to take lessons. So that is what he got and he should be starting lessons on Friday. We took the neighbor boys and went to California pizza kitchen for dinner and then came home and had gooey cake. On the 15th of December we had a party with a bunch of other Dow Corning couples. It was a pajama party (easiest christmas party I've ever gotten dressed for). We played Christmas charades, had a white elephant gift exchange and played Christmas trivia. We also watched Christmas Vacation. A party that was right up my alley. We had a good time! On the 19th we boarded a plane for a week in sunny Bintan Island, Indonesia. We went with our friends the Whittaker's who have a daughter Elise's age and a son who is between our 3 boys. The highlight's of our vacation were: the gorgeous white sandy beaches, the warm South China Sea water, the lovely clear blue waters of two different pools, sleeping in until we wanted to, yummy seafood, massages in our room, the 30C weather we had every day, the beautiful flowers and palm trees everywhere and eating at Burger King for our Christmas lunch. The lowlight's of our trip were: our flight arrived late, there was a traffic jam and so our van that was supposed to pick us up was also late, so we missed our ferry over to the island. We had to wait at the Ferry terminal for 3 hours until the next one left. By then it was dark out and the sea had gotten really choppy. All 6 of us, tossed our cookies on the way to the island. When we went to eat our first meal we were a little astounded at the prices of everything. I guess since we were on a lovely island, we were at their mercy and they could charge us whatever they wanted to, and they did. So, we found out that we could eat off of the kids menu every day at lunch and that was good enough for all of us. So lunch only cost us a little over a $100 everyday! We flew home on Christmas day but spent the day in Singapore waiting for our flight. It was fun walking around but a little amazing because the stores all open and were super packed. We got home about 11:00 and had a mini Christmas. My parents arrived on the 29th and it was a whirlwind 10 days that they were here. We had a great time together. We saw the Pearl tower, Yuyuan Gardens, Shanghai Aquarium, the Era Acrobat show, Nanjing Rd. we went to Zhangjiagang to show my dad the plant that Dow Corning is building and to show them Mark's bachelor pad, we went to Xintindia, the pearl market and the fabric market. We had Korean food, Greek food, Thai food, Chinese food and lots of western food. We ate at Hooters which I have to say was a cultural experience all in itself. It's a riot to see these little Chinese girls do the YMCA, dance to cotton eye joe and do the hokie pokie. Then they were playing Christian song after Christian song. From Rebecca St. James to Switchfoot. Who would've thought at Hooters! On the first Sunday that they were here we went to a brunch at the Westin hotel which was two floors of food that was absolutely amazing. Then there was entertainment. There was chinese opera, face changing which is a chinese dance and the person has masks on and the masks turn colors throughout the routine, girls balancing plates on these sticks and more acrobats. We took them to our favorite spa for foot massages, manicures and body massages. We ended there last day here with a historical lane walk. We saw how most Chinese really live and it was very humbling, we had amazing dumplings at a local shack and went to a museum of where Mao Zedong lived.
Well it's back to the grind. The kids started back to school on the 7th and Mark went back to work. I am gearing up for a new bible study that starts on January 28th. A friend and I are starting a new womans mentoring ministry at church. Mark and I are taking our Waypoint groups to a local orphanage on Saturday. We will be playing with the kids and probably doing some sort of craft. I'll report more later. Chinese New Year is only a couple of weeks away and the kids will be off of school for 10 more days. Elise will be off to Egypt and Mark's parent's will be flying in on the 3rd of February. So this winter is shaping up to be a whirlwind also. I guess it doesn't matter where you live in the world, you can always find things to do to keep you busy.
Until next time....
Natalie for all of the Berg's

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Unreal!!! There was an entry on the blog!! Good job, Natalie!! It sounds like fun is being had by all! The watch you sent for Sharon was a smashing success! Good job! I think Jim and Marlene enjoyed every minute! Now Mark's parents are going to get a trip to the pearl factory. It sounds like you are having way too much fun!!!!

Aunt Carol

Karen Chica said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! *very loud scream *

O-H M-Y G-O-S-H!! The Berg's blogged...had Roger not gotten New Years Kisses from Mark, I'd a thunk you'd falled off the face of the earth! (not true) Sooo glad you are all enjoying Christmas at Hooters (do Chinese girls actually HAVE them?!)
Our Christmas was okay..I figure out of 42 Christmases, having one Mediocre is alright. I mean, how much fun can *falling down the stairs (missing out on sledding & iceskating for the fear of falling on my mm-hmmm), *having homework fights (over CHRISTMAS BREAK/THATS JUST WRONG) and *my camera getting broken..good times had by all!
Love hearing from you. Miss miss miss you all.

Tonia said...

That Hooters bit was, well, a hoot I guess! I'm so jealous of Elise going to Egypt. Someday.....

Glad you're all doing well and are so settled in that you feel like you have nothing to say. I figured that was the deal because that's how I'd be.

Anonymous said...

Yaaay for updates and for "normal" life. Nats, may I just say that your "normal" life is way different than ours. I'm glad you had so much fun with mom and dad there. And, I knew you would have interesting stuff to say even if it is "normal" for you. So a huge thanks from all of us. Christian songs at Hooters??? You didn't tell me that before. That is just fabulous. What a hoot, so to speak!
Love you and talk with you soon on my new Christmas gift. Yes all, I got a Skype phone for Christmas. I told my husband it was very important for "ministry"! It worked. Now Nats can get all the counsel she never wanted. Ha ha.
Until next time,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Bergs! I literally gasped when I clicked on your blog this week. I went something like this..."GASP!! Oh My Word. The blog is back!" Good to hear that all is well on your side of the globe. I agree with Beth...your "normal" is still our "novel and new," so don't ever feel that your news is boring. We still enjoy hearing about your lives.

Sounds as though you've had wonderful time with visiting family, and more to come. Enjoy your time together, sharing your new world with the ones you love.

Betsy

Anonymous said...

we love to read about your life in china. we think you have done a great job adjusting, and kept your sence of humor. uncle rog says if mark's dad doesn't behave knock him up the side of his head and remind him this is a great opportunity for fun. let him cook for you. love uncle rog& aunt pat

Anonymous said...

To all the Bergs, what a delightful trip to China. It was extra special to have Christmas with all of you. Wonderful to see where our Grandkids are going to school and where you all live. So many wonderful experiences; the food was fantastic, the shopping was awesome (and by the way - I have gotten so many compliments on my coat that we had made while we were there)...Everyone loves it!

I was in a couple of those grocery stores that Natalie shops in - all I can say to you Jerry, if you plan to cook - have fun shopping! You can't read the labels and you have a multitude of choices, some of which you would rather not have. I'd leave the cooking to the resturants, if I were you - we had wonderful food there. And, yes we even enjoyed Rebecca Saint James and Christian music while dining at Hooters. The little Chinese girls dancing on the tables was quite a Hoot to say the least.

The shopping exerience was a laugh a minutes, and don't stop to look at anything, if you aren't interested in buying because you can hardly get away. Yes, yes, so many memories, and we're ready to go back again.

Love to everyone and thanks again to the Bergs for a wonderful trip!!
Grandma R

Anonymous said...

I am coming ,aha.

daniel