Saturday, April 28, 2007

Head to Toe

Hello all my faithful blog readers!!!!
Well after a Saturday spent mostly at home, we officially have only three boxes left to unpack. The bad news is that I have to go back to IKEA to buy another shelf for my bathroom. All three boxes are bathroom stuff, so until I feel like going there again I am just going to leave them.
Tonight I decided that the boys really needed haircuts. Next week is a huge holiday around here. It is like our labor day but it is a week long. So there is no school and a lot of businesses like hair salons close. So off we went for haircuts. The boys were kind of mad at first, but as soon as we got there they were glad we had decided to come. For a mere 50 yuan each (less than $7) they got there hair cut, shampooed and a massage. They were in their glory. Now this is no ordinary shampooing. They slowly start at the top of the head and get a little bit of the hair wet and start lathering it up, they just keep working in circles slowly and gently until all of the hair is latered up. They stay sitting in the chair where they get their hair cut. Honest to goodness, they don't get one drop of water or soap on their faces at all. Then they take them over to a sink and rinse it. Then they got head, neck, back and arm massages. Noah wondered how much it would cost to just get a massage every day. They all decided that they could stand to get their hair cut once a month from now on. Jacob even liked his hair cut which is pretty amazing since his locks are quite precious to him!!! While all of the boys were getting their hair cut, Elise got a pedicure. They all finished long before she did, so we walked to the corner and bought two pineapples from the little street vendor. When we got back Elise still wasn't done so we just hung out with all of the Chinese. You should've seen all of them. They had so much fun with the boys. They just loved them and the boys were eating all of the attention up because they were the only ones getting their hair done. Then one of the girls who kept telling Jacob how much she liked him (because she thought he was so funny) thought she should paint one of his nails. I know you're all wondering about that one. So she painted one of them this glittery green and then she drew a spider on one and a shark on another. Finally after all of that Elise was done. I think we definitely made all of the workers night though.
Hey Ang, I thought I would answer your question about milk. I think that you can definitely get skim milk and regular milk. If you want skim milk you have to buy it in a box. Most of the milk is sold in a box and doesn't have to be refrigerated until opened. A lot of the refrigerated milk is filled with a lot of hormones (don't need anyone growing parts they don't need:) Anyway, the kind of milk we drink is called ubest and it comes in a carton that is refrigerated. One of the expat ladies did a lot of research on it and apparently it doesn't have hormones in it. The kids all seem to like it because we still go through a lot. You should see the Chinese look at me when I buy milk. I will grab about 5 or 6 of them at a time and they just think I'm a freak. They are about the size of our quart, so really I'm only buying enough milk for about 2 days. But apparently more than they drink.
Karen, please inform your mother that yes pooping on the streets would be universal throughout China. Shanghai is actually very westernized and civilized and it is quite common here. When you gots to go, you gots to go!!!! I think that's their motto.
Betsy, I have not had the oppertunity to see a rice field. Maybe some day. I haven't left the walls of the ginormous (yes that's my made up word because this city is way bigger than gigantic or enormous) city very much yet. Here is the seder cake recipe that you asked for:
CHOCOLATE PASSOVER CAKE
9 eggs separated
1 lb. box powdered sugar
1/2 lb. grated semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 lb. ground nuts (walnuts, pecans or almonds)
1 tbsp. matzo meal
1 tsp. vanilla or brandy
Beat egg yolks well. Add sugar. Gradually add grated chocolate, nuts, matzo meal and vanilla. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Bake 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees in springform pan lined with waxed paper
Oh yeah, the salon we went to was called Head to Toe.
Time for bed, talk to you all soon!

6 comments:

Karen Chica said...

HA!--Beat ya' Betsy! Natalie I emailed my mother with your answer - she'll be thrilled. No open toed shoes please. Not much news here, sunny and 70 today..borderline HOT for Michigan. Lots of yard work done so tomorrow is Sunday (hurray) which means I can lay around all day. Good thing, I won't be able to move anyhow! Have a worshipful Sunday in China.
Karen

Anonymous said...

Nats:

Now that sounds like a wonderful haircut youre boys got! I'm with Noah, I think I'd like a daily massage!

We are continuing our spring cleaning, doing yard work, and now Ed is hanging up our new sun blocking blinds in the kitchen/dining room. They look wonderful, and he is trilled that he won't have the sun in his eyes as he eats dinner now!

Jason is off to the mall with some friends and then going to Matt's house to play some guitar Play Station game. So, I guess Ed and I are going out to eat.

We discovered this beautiful robin had made a nest in one of our trees and it has 3 perfect little blue eggs in it. We are hoping no neighbor cats come wandering around so we can see the little robins soon. I'm sure you don't have robins in China. But, I'm just wondering, do you have any other neat looking birds or other kinds of creatures that we don't have here?

Take care...love you guys!
Deb...and others.

Hoagies said...

Hey Berger!! I thought I was first to reply but it appears Welser woman is faster. This is a momentous occation........you know, the first time for me to write on your blog. I bet everyone has been wondering where the other sister was. She lives, She lives... (I was breaking into song, in case you couldn't recognize that!) Whew, after 2 intense weeks at the church, I think I can finally come up for air. Last weekend was the Girls Only sleepover, A Night to Remember (prom for people with disabilities) and this week the Rummage Sale. WOW, the sale was awesome! We had soooo many treasures, almost more than we knew what to do with! Total sales for the rummage are over $27,000!! It certainly makes being at the church everyday, all day, and most evenings worth while! God is good! But wow, am I weary. I think I was fixin' to have a relapse (I just had surgery, don't ya know.....5 months ago!) I heard you tried to call me recently but I wasn't home. Please try again. If you want, you can call me direct at the office, 989-374-0066 ext 1010.
I'm usually there by 8:00 am. Remember, I walk with my new best friend, Mrs. Kent at 8:30 so if you call soon after 8, you could catch both of us!! I'd put you on the speakerphone and we could have a conference call right in my office!!! Two for one......doesn't that sound like a deal you can't pass up?!?!
I love reading your blog and everyones comments!! I check everyday, sometimes twice a day to see what has been posted!!
Hope you had a great day in church.
Love ya'll,
Wendy for the Hoagies

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Word. That cake sounds fabulous! CHOCOLATE Passover cake?!? How decadent is that? I'm wondering...do the calories pass over as well? I must try it and see...

I had another thought pass through my mind, right next to the rice field one. How is it that, in a ginormous city like Shanghai, one can feel so safe? Mark (my Mark) said the same thing about Japan, when he was there on business. He said you can walk around at night and feel perfectly safe. Yet in our Western culture, we think "Big City = Danger." Why the difference, do you suppose? It's kind of sad, really...we're supposed to be the Christian nation. Shouldn't we feel safe here?

Wendy, it was good to read your comments. I was kinda wondering where you were, too. That's awesome about the youth rummage sale! My thought is, if the Osbornes were still in Midland, might the youth have broken $30,000?

:-) Betsy

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone - you can be jealous, we got to see all the Berg's on the video cam last night. How cool with technology today. Makes Grandma smile to see all the neat haircuts, etc., after hearing the delightful stories of the hair cut ordeal.
Jacob, sorry we failed to ask to see those beautiful fingernails with the spider, etc.
Natalie I don't know if you remember Stephanie Mosher (from Connecticut) - probably not, but she is teaching somewhere in China. Your e-mail address and blog will be sent to her through her folks in Connecticut (Doug & Carol Mosher). So, if you hear from someone like that, you will know what it's all about. She's been teaching there for a number of years and comes back home in the summer months.
Sure was fun seeing and talking to all of you last night.
Lots of love & kisses,
Mom R

Anonymous said...

Ok!!! I'm ready for a hair trim job and a message!!!! How about if you guys learn this technique and when you come home we will all line up for our turn. Wow! That has to be hard to take. I'm sure Elise was charmed with her pedicure!! It is almost worth a trip over!!!

Aunt Carol