Friday, April 20, 2007

Sleep in heavenly peace, sleep in heavenly peace!!!!

Happy Birthday to my dad. I really didn't forget about you, I just lose track of time here. This was a really ordinary week and that's why I haven't blogged. However, Wednesday morning Mark called and said that our shipment was indeed going to arrive on Thursday. At 9:30 Thursday morning a truck pulled up with a 173 Berg boxes and 40 boxes for the people two floors down Yes, they were all mixed together but we seemed to get all of our stuff. Of course it was a little like Christmas because after two months you forget what you even packed. I did even get a few things that I didn't pack. These things included my wedding dress, a battery charger, a power painter sprayer thing, a candle thing for my fireplace and who knows what else. They said they would ship all of these things back to the states for us because we have no use for them and no room.
Some funny sightings on April 19:
5 chinese men sitting on the floor trying to put together a loft bed. Something I'm sure they had never seen before. Mark's pretty sure that they had less pieces left over than he would've though. It took longer for them to put four beds together than to unload 173 boxes.

My cute little ayi Hong standing on top of Jacob's bed trying to make it.

My friends Mary and Nancy juggling my 25 boxes of tampons, 65 bottles of shampoo and 64 bottles of deoderant back to the bathroom.

We went to the Carrefour to get some groceries later in the night and a very large frog had gotten loose from the fresh protein section. Yes, you can buy live frogs, eel, snake and many other creatures. We showed one of the workers the frog escaping and she was very grateful. I'm sure he got dumped right back into the tank to later become froggy stew!

I think the best part of the day was finding my perfect pillow and sleeping in my bed again for the first time in two months.

We seem to draw a crowd many places that we go and today was no different. Mary, Nancy and I went shopping today. We needed some furniture pieces in order to unload many of our boxes. We soon had a small crowd of chinese women around us as we were buying some area rugs. They are just so fascinated in everything that we do and they want to see what we buy. (Many friends have been victim to Chinese people rummaging through their grocery carts to see what they buy)
We then went to Ikea. Much nicer during the week. Definitely not the pinball affect. All was going well until we got back to the market place and had to start collecting all of the large boxes that we were going to buy. I had this little stinky arm pit man helping me and he was definitely breaking a sweat getting all of my boxes. All of a sudded he threw up his arms and said, "I have to go now it's urgent" and he took off. (Maybe he had a green bean pie for lunch:) ) So then two other men came to help me and something that I wanted wasn't in stock so they took of too. Well by now I had a shopping cart and two large loader carts that were full and not enough hands to get them anywhere in the store. So Nancy's little man who was helping her came to help me too. She only went through one man. I must be high maintenance:) All in all I think I got most of what I needed. Some bookshelves, a TV stand, a shelf unit to put in a pantry , 2 DVD towers and a chair for Noah's desk. When I got to the checkout I realized that I no longer had anyone at all to help me so I called Hang Lei and told him he needed to meet me in the store. He helped me push my carts out and we loaded everything into the van. It barely fit, but we made it. When we got home and I started to look everything over, I realized that when we were loading everything into the van we had propped two light shelves against a wall to load them last. However, we forgot them. Now this isn't like running to Walmart or Meijer. It was a good hour back to IKEA because of the time of day and traffic. So I had to explain to Hang Lei what happened. He went back and picked up my shelves because they did have them. It was my lucky day. We opted to walk to dinner tonight because it would take him to long to get back to us.
Well I hear my perfect pillow calling my name so that's all for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word!!!! One hundred and seventy-three boxes of stuff. I can't even imagine unpacking all of it. If a guy didn't know better the amount of shampoo, tampons, and deorderant sounds like you'll have enough for the whole stay but than I guess you have a lot of users. I can believe the bed and pillow felt good.

I want you to know that squating on the sidewalk back home just won't go over very well!!!

Love ya,
Aunt Carol